Many women experience anxiety and apprehension during pregnancy. You can learn coping strategies. Counselling and support groups can make a difference, as well as taking the time to relax and practice yoga. Get tips for well-being in week 17.
What to expect in Week 17
You will start to look and feel amazing glossy, full hair and radiant skin. Your morning sickness has possibly disappeared and you have a large appetite. You may be snoring very loudly in sleep.Don’t feel embarrassed by it.You have funny feelings in your body. It’s likely to be your baby moving !
What to expect
Your baby is the size of a large Onion (11-12 cm and weighs around 150 gms).
What to expect
Baby's growth in your belly in week 17 - after meals movements are more obvious or when you listen to loud music or rub your tummy and talk to your baby! You can feel his/her hiccups. Your baby’s fingernails are starting to grow and he/she is forming unique fingerprints. The placenta which your baby attaches to in your uterus has grown and is as heavy as your baby. It provides all the nutrition, vitamins and good stuff to your baby.
Taking care of yourself
- You are likely to be asked a lot of questions about your pregnancy by others. Some may want to touch your belly too!
- It’s good to share a happy experience but feel free to firmly say no if you are uncomfortable.
- Have fish rich in Omega 3 like Rohu to boost your baby’s brain development.
- Eat 350 gms of fish a week (2 average meals). Avoid fishes like swordfish, shark and mackerel, which can contain high levels of mercury.
- Eat plenty of Vitamin C-rich foods and use unscented moisturiser for your body. This can help prevent stretch marks.
- Don’t lie down immediately after a big meal. Otherwise, you may end up with indigestion and heartburn.
Ask your doctor
- What medications are safe for me to use?
- Which exercises are okay for me?
- What should I do in preparation for birthing?
- Do I have any risks and how should I prevent them?
- I see strange spots on my face. Are these normal?
To do list
- Involve your husband by placing his hand on the belly and sharing the experience of the baby moving
- Schedule a 20-week ultrasound appointment.
- Record weight and blood pressure on the Kushal app.
- Enjoy a head massage!
Questions you may have
I am supposed to blossom in my second trimester but I don’t feel that great!
“Everyone is different. I felt unattractive and overwhelmed by my changing body and was anxious about the responsibility of having a baby. I spoke to my doctor about it and attended the Kushal support network. That helped.”.
Which beauty treatments are safe during pregnancy?
Avoid beauty treatments that have high doses of preformed Vitamin A. The amount and kind of Vitamin A that you need during pregnancy that is essential for a baby's developing organs, you can get from a balanced diet.
Gel nails or use nail polish
The fumes in a nail salon might make you feel sick in your first trimester, so it’s probably better to wait until later down the line. Plus, those fumes might contain organic solvents, which have been linked with birth defects in babies of mothers exposed during pregnancy. (source: NCT, UK)
Visiting salon advice -
- Instead of getting a manicure, paint your own nails at home.
- Ask for acetone to not be left longer than is necessary.
- If you want to take your own nails off, use acetone-soaked cotton pads instead of putting your hands in a bowl full of acetone.
- After you're done, make sure you wash your hands well to get rid of all the chemicals.
- Make sure that there are open doors or windows in the shop where your nails are being done.
Kushal maternal mental health workshops
Vitamin A information
Kushal's website provides health, fitness, and nutrition recommendations for informational purposes only. The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any health concerns, you should always check with your healthcare provider.